Amtrak Beech Grove Shops - SOLD OUT
12/14/2021 Update: This tour is sold out.
The Amtrak staff will give us a tour of their facility where they are refurbishing existing Amtrak equipment. Actually, the Beech Grove facility is capable of not just refurbishing equipment but totally rebuilding them as well. They work on all kinds of Amtrak rolling stock including HI level Superliner cars and Amfleet cars. Locomotives can receive complete services as well. The facility was originally constructed between 1904 and 1908 by the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway known by locals as the “Big Four.” It was later acquired by the New York Central Railroad then the Penn Central and was eventually purchased by Amtrak in 1975. The Beech Grove Amtrak yard is 108 acres in size and still has more than 15 buildings that are in use. One feature still in use is a 21 track transfer table.
Tour participants will gather in the Marriott Lobby at 9:00 AM
Amtrak is very serious about the footwear requirement. Leather work boots are suggested to stay out of footwear trouble.
PRE-TOUR DETAILS / REQUIREMENTS
- All visitors are required to wear appropriate attire for a Railroad / Industrial environment
- Footwear must be leather with a defined heel capable of being laced or latched.
- Visitors must stay with the tour group and may not wander away from the group.
- Visitors will not be permitted on Rolling Stock (cars or locomotives) during the visit.
- No age requirement. Children must be supervised. No infants.
- Pictures are permitted by approval of proper authority.
- Arrival at Beech Grove Shops Main Gate / Amtrak Police Guard Shack – 9:45am
- Introductions / Safety Briefing / PPE Distribution in the Beech Grove
- Administration Building – 10:00am
- Tour of Beech Grove Shops – 10:00am – 12:00pm
- Depart Beech Grove Shops – 12:00pm
Last Updated on 4/18/2022